If you’ve been arrested for, charged with, or accused of a criminal offense - no matter how serious - it is imperative to speak with a lawyer. Depending on your current finances, you might consider hiring a private criminal defense attorney instead of a court-appointed counsel.
While you may also represent yourself, the legal system is designed in such a way that it can be nearly impossible to do so - even if you have a high IQ and a great mind. So how do you know who to trust with your case, your reputation, and your freedom?
The following are several tips to help you find the best criminal defense lawyer for you:
- Choose an attorney that is passionate about the law. You do not want a lawyer who will treat you like just another case number. You need an attorney who loves to protect the rights and future of his or her clients. Look for a lawyer who will listen to your story and fight for you.
- Experience matters. You want a lawyer who has years of courtroom experience defending charges similar to yours. Furthermore, it helps to hire a former prosecutor since they are familiar will the local courts and developed strong relationships with judges and prosecutors.
- Don’t automatically buy into guarantees. When it comes to the law, there is always an element of surprise. A good attorney will never guarantee a specific result to your case. Instead, he or she will develop a strong case through preparation, as opposed to filling your mind with promises they may break.
- Check your references. A great attorney will always have an exceptional reputation. Ask friends, family members, and trusted colleagues which lawyers they recommend. While many of the best attorneys have a few clients that were dissatisfied with their service, you want someone who has more positive recommendations compared to negative ones.
- See if they take the timeto explain your legal options. Find an attorney who will evaluate your case and determine all of your available options, from sentencing to plea bargains. You need to be aware of all the possible scenarios in order to make an informed decision.
I, William R. Hall, am dedicated to protecting your rights and future. With more than 18 years of experience and handling thousands of criminal cases, I possess an extensive knowledge of Maryland law to help you navigate the complexities of the court system and your case. My legal team and I can investigate your case, examine the evidence available, as well as develop an effective and personalized defense strategy to either get your charges reduced or your entire case dismissed.
Call (410) 205-1684 and discuss your legal options in a free consultation today.