I've Got a Suspended License-What Now?

If you take a chemical test to determine your BAC level and fail it, or if you refuse to take the test, the police officer will confiscate and suspend your Maryland driver’s license, issue a paper temporary license, and prepare a case for the Maryland MVA file. If you possess a commercial driver’s license (CDL), the MVA will suspend your license and may disqualify your driving privilege.

You may receive the following documents after a DWI arrest:

  • Officer’s Certification and Order of Suspension – The form details information about the arrest, the pending suspension and provides whether or not you performed a chemical test. If your driver’s license was confiscated, the driver copy acts are your temporary license. The reverse side of the driver copy will provide information regarding the Ignition Interlock Program.
  • Advice of Rights Form – The form provides the administrative sanctions associated with your driving privilege in Maryland. It also points out additional penalties that may be administered, and your ability to opt into the Ignition Interlock Program.

Once your license is suspended, you may request an Administrative Hearing at any time within 30 days of the date of the Order of Suspension to “show cause” why your driver’s license should not be suspended. You need to request a hearing within 10 days of the date of the Order of Suspension to make sure that your driving privilege is not suspended before your hearing. If you fail to request a hearing within 10 days of the date of the Order of Suspension, your driver’s license will be suspended on the 45th day after the order.

Your hearing request needs to be made in writing. The reverse side of the hearing request copy details information and a form to request an administrative hearing. Send your request to the Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH) at 11101 Gilroy Rd., Hunt Valley, MD 21031-1301. You must also include a check or money order for $150 necessary for the filing fee, made payable to the “Maryland State Treasurer.”

For more information regarding your specific case, contact a Salisbury criminal defense attorney at William R. Hall, P.A. for a free consultation today.